Teaching Science in the Primary Classroom (STEM)
Providing a fresh innovative approach to teaching, this course will focus on ways to bring STEM subjects to life with exciting, engaging activities. Investigate computational thinking, coding and physical computing using the Crumble microcontroller – linking coding directly to STEM subjects. The Crumble is controlled by easy to assemble blocks of code that combine to create programs downloaded straight to the Crumble device.*
Through examples of classroom applications, hands-on experimentation and inquiry-led activities, participants will learn how to promote exploration and strengthen critical thinking skills. All the classroom activities are designed using low cost, readily available materials. The course also provides teachers with detailed knowledge and understanding of the core scientific concepts across the curriculum. This activity based course will definitely foster and develop a real interest and enthusiasm for teaching STEM subjects and computational thinking.
- Workshop based training involving ‘hands-on activities',
- Science concepts explained in a clear straightforward way,
- Take home handouts with instructions of all activities and suggestions for integration with other subject areas,
- Classroom activities designed with readily available, low cost materials,
- Activities suitable for all class groups (Senior Infants - Sixth Class), and
- Gain hands-on experience in programming with Crumble.
* No previous coding experience is necessary.
|Course date||20-08-2018 9:30 am|
|Course End Date||24-08-2018 2:00 pm|
|Cut off date||20-08-2018|
|Location||Kilkenny Education Centre|