Farm Safety Awareness
FARM SAFETY AWARENESS - POSTER COMPETITION
Click here to see awards ceremony presentation
Kilkenny and Laois Education Centres, in conjunction with the Health and Safety Authority (HSA), are organising a Poster Competition for primary schools. The competition is aimed at raising awareness among students and their families about safety issues on farms. We would ask participating schools to encourage their students to discuss the competition at home in order to raise awareness of farm safety issues among the whole family. Statistics from the HSA reveal that accidents on farms give rise to on average 18 deaths per year and generally account for 30% of all fatal accidents at work. Students participating in the competition do not have to be from a farming background.
The initiative involves a poster competition for primary school children. We hope to publish the 12 winners in a Health and Safety Authority calendar. This competition will be launched at the National Ploughing Championships in Athy in September. Details to be finalised.
The HSA has provided a total of €2,000 in prize money for the poster competition. The prize money is exclusively for schools within the Kilkenny and Laois Education Centre catchment areas:
I. The winning students will receive €50 each and a Certificate of Achievement from the HSA. (12 winners in total)
II. Each of the schools represented by winning students will receive €100 for appropriate use at the school. (12 winners in total)
Suggested Categories of Posters
Students are asked to provide a poster on any one of the following areas;
• Safety on tractors and/or farm machinery
• Safety when dealing with farm animals
• Safety of children on the farm
• Safety of grand parents or other elderly persons on farms
• Farm buildings
• Water hazards on the farm
The school will organise an in-school judging panel for this. This is a poster competition aimed at the eventual production of the calendar.
Twelve posters will be chosen from the entries, by judges appointed by the HSA and the Kilkenny and Laois Education Centres.
• Posters are restricted to no more than A3 size paper
• The competition and prize money is confined to primary schools in the Kilkenny and Laois Education Centre catchment areas
• Posters can be worded in English or Irish
• All entries must be clearly marked with:
1. Name of School
2. Name of Student
• The HSA will retain ownership of all successful posters and ay use them in any subsequent promotional or awareness raising programmes in the future.
• Closing date for receipt of entries is 2 pm on Friday 22nd October 2010. All entries to be submitted to Kilkenny or Laois Education Centre.
• There will be formal prize giving ceremony later this year.