Using Accelerated Reader to Develop and Strengthen a Reading Culture Webinar
The webinar will outline how both Primary and Post Primary schools across Ireland are using Accelerated Reader and MyOn to develop and strengthen a culture of reading. It will also show how Accelerated Reader can be used to establish baseline scores for students, and how improvements in comprehension and fluency are measured. Accelerated Reader is generally aimed at students who already have the basics of reading from around Second Class right up to Junior Certificate students. It compliments programmes such as Literacy Lift Off very well and really motivates students in Primary school, or those starting Post Primary, to engage fully in reading for pleasure. The results of the baseline test relate closely to both the Drumcondra and Micra-T scores and all results are stored automatically on a spreadsheet with no need for correction. Many Post Primary schools use the online reading test with First Year students to establish their standard of reading as they enter the school, and the test can be given a number of times during a school year to monitor progress.
The webinar facilitator, Pat Hanrahan, has used Accelerated Reader over many years in his own school and will outline how it is set up and its benefits. He will also answer any questions about the Programme.
Areas covered will include;
- Outline of the Accelerated Reader Baseline Reading Test,
- The set-up of reading books/library to suit the Accelerated Reader system,
- Monitoring students reading and checking data on student progress,
- How Accelerated Reader ensures that students are reading at the right level of challenge,
- Extensive School Reports available to measure reading progress and identify areas of improvement. All student reading and comprehension data is available, and
- How MyON provides access to up to 5,800 new digital books for every student in the school.
|30-05-2023 4:30 pm
|Course End Date
|30-05-2023 5:30 pm
|Cut off date
|30-05-2023 4:30 pm
|Online (via Zoom)